We celebrated Dan's 5th birthday in February. Wow, he has grown and changed so much this last year. Daniel is so much fun to be around. He's a happy-go-lucky, goofy and lovable kind of kid. Very thoughtful and smart. It was so much fun for me to watch him on his birthday. Words can't describe how sweet he was, it seriously brought me to tears. Tears! Dan was just completely overjoyed with every present he opened (the picture below when he's opening a present says it perfectly). Even the smallest of presents deserved an "Oh WOW!" from Dan and then a "Thank you SO MUCH!" I made him this little pouch that can be worn on a belt to keep bullets in for his Nerf gun, and as soon as he saw it his eyes lit up and out came the "Oh WOW!... Thank you, Mom!" Like I had gotten him the most wonderful thing in the whole wide world. Tears. Dan was just the sweetest kid all day long. To everyone, not just me.
Dan was very specific about the kind of cake he wanted. He had shown me with his hands the size that the bottom layer of the cake should be, then the second layer, third layer, and finally the fourth. Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, and maybe some sprinkles. So that's what he got. Kind of made me sick just looking at all that frosting, but he sure did like it.
For Dan's birthday activity we went to the Henry Ford Museum to see the Lego exhibit. This was much anticipated by all. The Lego exhibit was ok, but the museum was amazing. Worth the seemingly way overpriced admission. Worth every penny. Cars, tractors, airplanes, trains, this place had it all. We ended up staying there 4 or 5 hours.
If you're interested, this was really fun for me to look back at:
Here is Dan at 4 years old
And then March brought the birthday of little Will. 1 year old! What a sweetheart this kid has been. My heart still melts every time I look at him. Below are my attempts at a photo shoot. Not to brag, but I nailed it. Nailed it! Those eyes just kill me. (And both pictures are untouched by Photoshop).
I just want to kiss those cheeks. And I do, all day long.
The traditional tissue paper gift. We did this for Joe for his 1st birthday too.
The cake! (I think it is Will's favorite thing in the world to climb up on his high chair. Or stand up on his seat and turn around. He knows I hate it when he does it, and I think that's why he loves to do it so much. He'll even look at me when he does it, just to see what I'm going to do.)
Will pretty much ate his whole cake with a little pincer grasp, using his thumb and index finger. It took him probably 20 minutes to finish. He first went for all the frosting before digging into the cake.
Finally a handful right at the very end.
And there he goes, standing up. But I mostly put this picture on to show his tummy. This kid has gotten huge!
Will still isn't walking, but he sure is a good crawler. He'll walk along things, as long as he's holding onto something. He's probably still a couple months off. Will's favorite foods are bananas, oatmeal, pancakes, crackers, applesauce, and almost any kind of soup (pureed or not). He does not like green beans or any kind of pasta (not sure why... we need to work on this one, pasta is a staple at our house.) Will was the first baby I was able to nurse for a full year. We had our last feeding on his birthday. Kind of a sad day, I miss it already. Will finally started sleeping through the night at about 11 months. But before that he was just waking up at 5 or 6 to nurse then would go right back to sleep. I didn't mind. He normally takes 2 naps and goes to bed around 7 or 7:30. But he's very flexible, I don't normally work around his nap schedule. Rather his naps work around our schedule. Will's favorite thing to do at home is to get into the kitchen cupboards, play with the toilet paper, and get everything out of our art drawers (pencils, crayons, markers, paper, etc.) We call all of these places his "stations." He'll move from one station to the next, pulling everything out before moving to the next. So our floors are no longer clean. Actually they never were before, so I guess I should say, our floors are now even messier.
Happy happy birthday to my birthday boys!




No comments:
Post a Comment