Joe's language

Joe didn't say very much until just a few months ago. It was probably around 22 months that he (finally!) started trying to repeat words we were saying, and since then his vocabulary has grown exponentially. But he is still learning how to make certain sounds and a lot of what he says sounds a little mumbly (is that a word?) Most people probably can't understand what he is saying, but at least the words are coming! And thankfully I can understand most of it, as can his brothers. They laugh every time Joe says the word ladybug. "Ladybum," is how it comes out... apparently something about the last part of that word is funny :) Some other fun ones: "Hah jahjah" for hot chocolate. "Thomah" for Thomas (the train). "Ain Joo" for thank you. "Fin" for fish. For the word blankie Joe doesn't even open his mouth. It's just "mm, mm." But we all know what he's saying somehow. We go on a lot of walks and lately the kids like to run for most of it. Joe likes to hold my hand and run with me, but the second I stop running he angrily says, "Mom-ee ruh!" Even though my walking with him is every bit as fast as running. As long as I'm bouncing a little bit he's satisfied. If he eats something cold or feels cold outside he'll say "Coh... oooooh" (like on the video I posted a while back). He likes to count things and will point as he says "two, ree, two, ree, two, ree." And just recently he started saying "What the heck!?" That one he pronounces perfectly, and I can't help but laugh every time he says it. I probably shouldn't encourage it, but it sounds so funny coming out of his innocent little mouth. I love the age Joe is at! He can certainly say "no" and can yell and scream, but he can't talk back quite like the older kids can. I hope this stage lasts a long time! :)

2 comments:

Kevin Marcum said...

I agree

Jessica Jackson said...

Oh dad. I wasn't finished with the post :)