What we've been up to

We have kept busy the last few weeks with barbeques, parks, fairs, swimming and of course trying new lakes. Here are a few pictures:

The RSN (Resident Support Network) had a barbeque for families a few weeks ago. This group is for resident spouses and have weekly playgroups and socials every once in a while. We've been going to the playgroups and it really is a great group. I've been able to meet some fun girls who have kids my kids ages and whose husbands are also gone all the time :) Near the end of this barbeque there was a downpour, and our kids of course were in heaven! Because it doesn't rain here, it POURS. Comes down in sheets. The kids walked out in the rain for 2 minutes and were completely soaked from head to toe. A couple nights ago it rained while we were sleeping and I came out to find 4" of water in our (what was empty) kiddie pool! It's seriously amazing.



We visited the Children's Garden at Matthaei Botanical Gardens with the RSN. They had natural things to play on/with, including a big pile of large sticks. So of course John was in heaven. He's on the search for cool sticks at every park we go to (usually to be played with as a gun). We used the sticks to make a small log cabin type thing.


There was a 4H fair just south of Ann Arbor that we went to with my friend Seidi. Seidi's husband Danny and Pete went to school together at the U, and he's out here for an Internal Medicine residency. So Seidi and I have been spending a lot of time together. She has a baby girl, Mina and a 2-year old boy, Charlie. Charlie and John have become good buddies... even though John is twice his size :)

I LOVE this picture... Joe wanted to get a closer look at the squealing pigs.


John and Dan keep a safe distance in the wagon.


Joe and Charlie check out the goats.


My boys and Sawyer and Braden (Kim's kids, a fellow resident spouse) check out some more goats.

I took the kids to one of the Friday night concerts in downtown Dexter. Had a picnic dinner, listened to good music, got balloons, then watched a guy perform a juggling act that the kids absolutely loved. He juggled knives, sticks on fire, rode a unicycle, walked on glass and balanced a stool on his chin. Pete joined us for the last 10 minutes or so, had to work late that night.


The kids have spent many, many hours in our backyard swimming in the kiddie pool, running through sprinklers and jumping on the trampoline. On those hot, humid days they pretty much have to do something with water. And it never seems to get old.



Photo courtesy of Daniel.


Our first paycheck! Woohoo! We actually have money that's OURS! All I have to say is Pete better be getting something for working 80 hours/week.


The kids and I went to the Dixboro Fair was last Saturday. Very fun, tons of stuff for the kids to do and see.

We started with the petting zoo. They had chicks, a cow, sheep, baby pigs, rabbits, and goats.


Don't let that sweet smile fool you! Joe can be a little fireball. His thing is screaming lately. While he was petting a small goat another little boy came over to pet the goat too, and Joe screamed at him. And then an older lady came over to pet it, and Joe screamed at her! He gets very threatened if he thinks someone is going to take something from him. Sometimes someone just looks at him and he screams. I'm hoping it's just a stage.


The kids got to ride in a fire truck. Probably the highlight of the fair. I was surprised by how much Joe liked the fire trucks, he kept wanting to go back for more.



What kid doesn't like bouncy toys?

And finally, the latest lake we visited was Silver Lake. We went with our friends Seidi and Danny (well, the kids and I went... Pete joined us for the last 30 minutes, he had to work late as usual). We'll definitely be coming here again, there was a huge sand pit for the kids to play in about 10 yards away from the water. They were loving it!




5 comments:

Kevin Marcum said...

What great memories!

Julie said...

You are seriously super mom. Like I said when we talked the other day...I have a hard time doing those things with JUST Owen! haha. But it's good to keep busy, especially with no daddy and hot weather. :) That sand pit at the lake looks like heaven for those boys! I know Owen would love it!

Ash and Joe said...

ahhh a pay check!!! don't go and spend it all in one place :).

Steve and Liz Evans said...

Oh cute! Peyton watched the trampoline movie twice and said, "Dan is so funny! I miss him!" Truly best friends!

Grandpa & Grandma Marcum said...

JESSICA,
THANKS FOR THE PICTURE UPDATES OF YOUR FAMILIES "DOINGS". I LIKE THE PICTURE OF PETE WITH HIS PAY CHECK. I KNOW THE FEELING.
WHAT A NICE CONTRIBUITION ABOUT GRANDMA HIRSCHI. SHE WAS A SPECIAL LADY. SHE WILL BE MISSED BY MANY WHO KNEW HER.
LOVE YOU GUYS...GIVE OUR LOVE TO THE BOYS...
GRANDPA AND GRANDMA MARCUM