Brittney, Grandma and me
Grandma and Mom
I’ll always remember Grandma as the woman who was humble, cheerful and optimistic, unselfish and giving, and who had a witty and sarcastic sense of humor.
Humble. Grandma could care less about what the world thought. She had her priorities right: family and the gospel. You look at the car she drove, the house she lived in, her furniture, her clothes... looking at the way she lived and where her priorities were makes worrying if these shoes match my outfit or if that shirt fits right or wondering if we should paint that table so it’s not such an eye sore seem like the silliest things in the world. I’ll bet those kinds of thoughts never even crossed her mind.
Cheerful and optimistic. I remember always looking forward to visiting Grandma (and grandpa) or having them visit us. Grandma always seemed to have a smile on her face and was so easy to talk to. And this trait clearly got passed down to each of her children. Each of them knows how to find the humor in life and can find the good in any situation.
Unselfish and giving. Grandma was always ready to feed us when we showed up at her house. Whether we were hungry or not :) That was one way she served others was providing them with food off her own table. She was also a gift giver. I had the chance to go garage sale shopping with her one Saturday. It was fun to watch her as she searched for gifts that she could give to each of her children and grandchildren. And I think we would all agree that it was rather exciting to open gifts from Grandma! You never knew if you’d be getting a small purse full of change, bath towels, or a Barney costume :)
When Brittney and I went to BYU Hawaii for a summer semester, Grandma and mom came out with us for the first few days. I remember laughing every time it came time to go to lunch or dinner or anything that involved paying money. Mom and Grandma would sit there and argue (for several minutes sometimes) over who was going to pay. Like mother like daughter I suppose!
In September of 2009, Pete and I lived down the street from Grandma for the month while Pete did a family practice rotation in Hurricane. What a fun time that was! John was 3 and Dan was 1 (Joe was in the belly), and we were able to walk up the street to visit “Great Grandma.” Grandma was so sweet with them and always had a cookie or treat ready to offer. She took us out to lunch a couple times and quickly won the kids over.
Sense of humor. I felt like I got to know a whole new side of Grandma when she came with us to Hawaii. That was probably the first (and I guess only) time that I was with her around the clock for 3 or 4 days straight. I was surprised by the witty and sarcastic sense of humor she had! She would make those kinds of comments where, by the tone of her voice, you don’t know whether she’s joking or she’s serious. Comments like (pointing to some guy), “There’s a good-looking one, why don’t you ask him to come join us?” Grandma knew how to keep you on your toes and knew how to keep life fun. Never a dull moment.
I love you Grandma! Can’t wait to see you and Grandpa on the other side.
No comments:
Post a Comment