My last marathon... for now

Last weekend I ran the Utah Valley Marathon with my friend Eliza. And to be totally honest, I am so happy it's over! Eliza will be moving at the end of the summer and convinced me to do one last marathon with her before she leaves. One last hoorah. But after finishing this one, we have both vowed to be done with marathons (well... at least for a while...) If I had one word to describe this race? PAIN. It really was miserable the entire last 6 miles. Has every marathon been this painful? It's hard to remember. I think time makes me forget. Kind of like having children... being pregnant is so uncomfortable, and labor is so painful, yet I forget, and somehow go through it all again. My sister-in-law Liz ran the last 6 miles with me, so that at least made it tolerable. I think I would have stopped and walked the last few miles if it weren't for her. Around mile 22 or so I remember thinking, "I'm never doing this again! This is insane! And so painful! I hate this!" But then... after what seemed like an eternity later... I crossed the finish line and it was all somehow worth it. It really is such a good feeling to push yourself further than you ever thought you could and to finish a race like that. I was somehow able to get my second best time, 3:18, even though I felt like I was jogging turtle speed at the end, so I was pretty happy about that. So, let this be the end of marathons!... at least until someone else convinces me to do another one with them : )




This is how we really felt afterwards.

6 comments:

t.t.turner said...

Looks like you should do Boston!

Jessica Holly said...

Congrats Jess! You're seriously my hero, way to go!

Jess and Matt said...

Um, how the heck did you run it that fast?!?! I am so impressed; you are amazing. I only ran the half, way slower, and I was SO ready to be done. Wow, you're awesome.

Christine said...

You are amazing!

Barb said...

Way to go! I'm in awe of you both!

Cotter said...

I am impressed! That is so fast! I always use the fact that I have three kids close in age as an excuse to be out of shape. Dang it. Looks like I better step it up a notch... or have another baby. Nope.

Lyndsay