
Last weekend I said goodbye to my boys for 4 whole days (!) and flew to Chicago for the AMA Alliance Annual Meeting. They slept at my sisters house Friday (who was 8 1/2 months pregnant but willing to help anyway!), then over to Grandma Annie and Papa John's house with Pete Saturday and Sunday, then on to Grandma and Grandpa Marcum's house Monday and Tuesday. And I was on my own for the first time in... years! I've gone on a few trips without the kids, but I've always been with Pete, so this trip was a little different. I went as a representative from the MSA (Medical Student Alliance) and was able to participate in the AMAA's House of Delegates. It was tedious and all business, but really was quite interesting. I was able to see exactly how the organization is run and voice my opinion as a medical student spouse. And I was able to use a different part of my brain for once... not just the part that reads children's books, plays make believe, changes diapers, and cleans the house : ) We also snuck in some shopping, party hopping (nothing too crazy, trust me), and took the train out to see the homes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. The plane ride back got delayed an hour and a half, so I got to just sit there and read for almost 4 hours... a very foreign experience! So all in all, it was a great trip. On the way home from the airport, my mom picked me up and had all the kids, and about 10 minutes from home Joseph started screaming, then Daniel started crying, then John even chimed in. My mom said, "Well, welcome home!" I just laughed. Life as a mom is chaotic at times and so much work... yet somehow I love it. I really was happy to be home.

The Western States group
No comments:
Post a Comment