My first hike alone!

I went for my first hike alone with the kids the other day, what an adventure! Here are some things I learned:

John can run around a playground for an hour and never seem to tire, but on a trail he's huffing and puffing after just a few minutes!
You can plan a short hike, but don't plan to make it even half way to your destination.
Daniel LOVES the backpack. He was in there for more than an hour and I didn't hear even one little whine.
Taking multiple breaks to have a little treat are essential (and some of the breaks might only be a few minutes apart)
I need to learn more of the names of plants and flowers! John was constantly asking what this or that was, and I pretty much only had 3 answers: a flower, a tree, or a bush.

The hike was slow goin', but it really was fun to get out and hike a bit. Either I go with the kids on a short, slow hike or I don't go at all. It's better than nothing!



4 comments:

Barb said...

Wow! You are amazing to even attempt a hike with two little ones (and one in utero!) I admire you- seriously, it takes me all day just to get in the shower!

Steve and Liz Evans said...

Sounds fun! We would have come with you! I bet Jaxon would have loved hiking with John.

Kathryn said...

Look at you...hiking with two little ones being pregnant...pretty sure I sat around the whole time I was.(now I'm paying for it ;) You're such a cute mom!

Julie said...

Way to go Jess! I am so impressed. This gives me hope that I will be able to manage only my one little babe!