My days go by so fast lately. I feel like so much is packed into every day and find myself wanting to record so many things that happen or things that the kids say, but then never quite get around to it. And of course, after a few days or weeks, those memories fade as they are replaced by new ones. But I guess it's not always about remembering everything in the past, it's about living in the moment and enjoying life as it happens (deep, I know).
Today was a pretty normal day. Woke up to Sam crying at 5:45, got him a bottle and laid him in bed with Pete so I could make the kids lunches and get breakfast ready. Woke up the kids at 6:15 for breakfast and scriptures, followed by each of the older 3 practicing piano before before rushed out the door for school. Then Pete was off to work and I was off to the YMCA with the younger two to workout. When I got home I had big plans for the day, as usual. Laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning the house, scheduling a time to get our car fixed (I recently backed into a car across the street)... all really fun things. So instead of doing all the things that needed to get done to make our family/house/routine run smoothly, I chose to not do any of those things, and I made a shelf to go above our stove to hold fruits and vegetables. It was one of those projects that was supposed to take an hour, and then took 3. One of those projects that completely consumed me and that I wanted to throw away after 2 1/2 hours because it still wasn't turning out the way I wanted it to. Then Will started saying, "Mom, you should just take a break." But I couldn't! Because I was so close to finishing. Sam wanted me to hold him half the time, and by the time the older boys were on their way home from school, tools and wood were scattered all over the kitchen, the rest of the house was a mess, and I still had nothing to show for it! Grrrr, I really was frustrated. But I did end up getting the dang shelf up, and I really am quite pleased with how it turned out. But probably not worth ignoring my kids for a couple hours for.
We ate an early dinner, took John to soccer practice, then met Pete at home for Family Home Evening. It was a really fun night. John prepared his own lesson on baptism and renewing our covenants when we take the sacrament. He owned it. He has the sweetest spirit and such a good heart. Then we made pumpkin donuts for dessert and dipped leaves in beeswax for the activity (I love the Fall!) John pulled out the game Zobmondo, a question game, while waiting for the donuts to get done. The game has "would you rather..." questions, and you have to pick which thing you would rather do. Would you rather... be stuck in the forest and have to eat a teaspoon of termites or eat a live dragonfly? As Pete and I were working on the donuts, we heard Daniel in the other room reading one of the cards. "Would you rather... be in constant pain during se... seeex... what's sex? or have a... what's that?..." Pete and I looked at each other and waited... Then Daniel said, "Let's just go to the next one..." Whoops! Not child approved. Later when we were all together Dan read some more. "Would you rather... live in a house with no windows or no doors?" Pete and I both said definitely no doors. We couldn't live without the light and would climb through the windows. Daniel finally agreed and said he would definitely want windows. Because if it snowed a lot you might not be able to open your door and wouldn't have any windows to crawl out of. Good point, Dan. Then he read the next one. "Would your rather... be really smart and really boring or really dumb, but funny and entertaining?" Joe didn't even have to think twice. He confidently replied, "dumb and funny."
1 comment:
I can't tell you how many times I've gotten consumed with a project and neglected everything else all day without meaning to! I'm glad you were able to finish it and it worked out though because it's the worst feeling when you spent all day and gave up so much with nothing to show for it! Oh my gosh that's hilarious about the game!!! and I'd definitely go "no doors" too- windows are a must!!!
Post a Comment