On one particularly warm day, me and the kids went on our favorite little hike to the river. A short 400 yard hike, perfect for even Joe. Not quite as scenic as usual, as everything was dead, but refreshing nonetheless. At the end of the hike, I walked over to the car to get something or do something, I can't remember, and when I turned around Joe and Dan had started stomping through all of the mud puddles and were already soaked. It was too late to try and save their clothes, so I just let them do it. Sometimes the kids getting wet and dirty drives me crazy, but this time I decided I didn't really care as we had nothing we had to get to, nowhere to go the rest of the day. Might as well let them have fun.



Needless to say, the boys all rode home in their underwear :)
Our fun day unfortunately came to an end when Joe got bit by our neighbor's dog right in front of our house. I don't blame my neighbor at all, she had him on a leash, Joe just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. We had been playing fetch with him while I talked, and eventually Joe (in just a t-shirt) wanted to get down. The ball got tossed over by Joe and the dog sprinted for it, knocking him down. Joe started crying hard, and I think the dog didn't really know what to think of it and in all the excitement sprinted back to him, nipping at his cheek first, then sinking his teeth into his chubby little thigh. Joe was literally one foot away from me, it all happened so fast there wasn't really anything I could do. After picking Joe up and seeing the blood start to come I rushed inside, wrapped a towel around his leg and tried to peek at the wounds. My neighbor and I both thought it would be best to take him to the hospital, so I loaded up the kids and took him down. First I stopped by the hospital where Pete was at and had him take a look, just to make sure the ER was going to be necessary. After looking at the cuts, Pete thought I should go. So the kids and I headed over for a 5 hour stay in the ER. Gotta love the hospital. Waiting, waiting and more waiting. Pete finally got off work around 6 and took John and Dan to get something to eat right before they gave Joe a couple stitches. When all was said and done, I think the hospital was more traumatic than the actual bite. Every time anyone came into our room, Joe got all clingy and didn't want anyone even looking at his leg. We had to brace him down whenever they did anything. And even when we got home, Joe wouldn't let me even look at the band-aids. He would pull his leg away and yell "No!" Poor kid. Unfortunately he's going to have 3 little scars on his thigh, 2 on top and 1 on bottom. They actually didn't even stitch the one on bottom, which was the deepest, thinking that stitches might keep any infection that was inside from coming out. And the two on top were very loose stitches (which were pointless to put in, if you ask me) for the same reason. To allow any infection to come out. Anyway, so there's our first ER story. And most likely not the last :) I just keep thanking my lucky stars that the dog didn't bite into his face. A few scars on a guys upper thigh isn't going to be a big deal. Here's a few pics of the lovely hospital stay.

On the way to the hospital

The rowdy bunch. John and Dan were actually really good for the most part. They brought us some paper and crayons and toys for the kids to all play with while we were waiting.

I thought Joe actually looked pretty cute in his little hospital gown :)
Not too sad here!
1 comment:
Poor little Joe! I'm glad he's okay.
Post a Comment