A typical week

A couple years ago I wrote down everything I did for a few days so I could look back and remember what my life was like and what I did everyday. Well, I decided to do that again. This (very long) post is for my own entertainment, to read in 5 or 10 years so I can remember how easy or hard my life was : )

MONDAY
5 am Daniel crawled in bed with us and started coughing hard, like he was going to throw up. I rushed him into the bathroom and he spit up a bunch of mucous.
5:15 am Daniel started coughing hard again and spit up a bunch of mucous. Luckily caught it all on my pillow (which immediately went into the laundry). I had fallen asleep by 9 pm the night before while watching Lord of the Rings, and actually felt pretty rested, so decided to get up and go running before Pete had to leave for school by 6:15.
5:30-6 am Went running
6 am Daniel hadn't ever really gone back to sleep, so he got up when I got home. He didn't seem to be feeling well, so he laid on the couch while I cleaned up the house a bit.
6:30 am John and Joe woke up. Made waffles for breakfast.
7:30 am Boys watched Chicken Run while I showered, got ready and cleaned up breakfast.
8 am Made lunches to take with us
8:30 am Got boys dressed and ready to drive carpool to John's preschool. Dan had diarrhea and emptied out just before we left (thanks to us allowing him to eat the moldy bread we fed the ducks on Saturday).
9:10 am Left to pick up Harrison, John's friend. Took them out to Sandy for preschool (the mom whose turn it was was staying with her in-laws that week while their wood floors were being refinished)
9:35 am Arrived at preschool to find that Daniel had had an accident. The diarrhea snuck out without him even knowing. Dirty car seat and dirty pants, great. Cleaned him up inside and put a diaper on him the rest of the day. Emily, the mom doing preschool, offered to have Daniel stay there for preschool, which I gladly agreed to. Daniel had been playing with the toys and didn't want to leave.
10:00 am Went grocery shopping at Target with Joe. So easy with only one child!
11:00 am Visited Grandma Tigger, Pete's grandma, who lives out in Sandy. Sweetest lady.
12:00 pm Picked up boys from preschool. Daniel had gone a little more in the diaper so changed it before we left. Dropped off Harrison, then headed up to North Salt Lake to do crafts at my friend Liz's house. Joe slept all the way there, and Dan fell asleep 10 minutes before we arrived around 1 pm (I don't blame him after waking up at 5!) Joe transferred to Liz's crib, Dan wanted to play the moment he saw where we were. My other friend, Tiffany, was there. Kids played and watched movies while mom's did crafts. I was working on crayon holders, Liz on burp cloths, and Tiffany on bows and t-shirts.
5:30 pm Finally packed up crafts and kids and headed for home. It had snowed a few inches while we were there, so the trip home was a long one. I was doing anything I could think of to keep the kids awake, they were all exhausted: singing loudly, turning up the music and dancing, clapping as loud as I could, playing "I Spy." I knew if the kids fell asleep they'd wake up when we got home and then be up later that night.
6:15 pm Got home and had a quick dinner of leftovers: Macaroni and Cheese for John and Dan, a bottle of milk for Joe.
7:00 pm Boys in pajamas, read scriptures, said prayers, brushed teeth and to bed. Woohoo!
7:30 pm Caught up on blog and e-mails
8:15 pm Pete finally rolls in from the hospital. Is on a neurology rotation this month and doesn't have the greatest schedule. Warmed up some leftovers for him, enchiladas, corn and beans. Also made some hot chocolate and talked about our days.
9 pm Pete worked on school stuff, I worked on a portrait while listening to music on my iphone. It's pretty boring work, so music spices things up a bit.
10:30 pm Finished the portrait! Went to bed.

TUESDAY
5:30 Daniel crawls into our bed. Again I decide to get up. Sometimes it seems pointless to go back to sleep if it's very likely I'm going to be woken up a half hour later. Decide to do aerobics, my favorite on exercisetv.tv: Less Is More Cardio Workout.
6:30 Daniel and Joe wake up and have breakfast while I shower.
7:30 John wakes up. Has breakfast. Play "Sorry" with John. Kids watched some cartoons. Make beds, get kids dressed, get breakfast cleaned up.
9 am John and Dan play outside in snow. Snowed about 8" the night before! It'll probably all be melted in 2 days.
10 am Loaded kids in car. Went to Kinko's to print some photographs to draw. Stopped at Reuel's to get some illustration board for portraits. Then to Kid-to-Kid to sell some clothes/shoes. Got a backpack for John for school in return.
11:30 am Got home and made some lunch: yogurt, bagels and milk.
12:00 pm Joe down for nap
12:30 Turned on TV for John while I laid down with Daniel for a nap
1:30 pm John woke me up and said he wanted to do something with me. Joe woke up just after that.
2:00 pm Grandma Marcum (my mom) called and Video Chatted with the kids. Read them stories and said hi.
2:30 pm Started laundry... changed it every 1 1/2 hours.
4:00 pm John and Dan played outside in the snow. Jumped on the went tramp and came in completely soaked.
5:00 pm John and Dan painted pictures while I started getting dinner ready.
6:30 pm Pete got home, our neighbor Jack came over for dinner. Pete had a conference call until 7, so we enjoyed dinner and bread with Jack.
7:30 pm Joe to bed.
8:00 pm John and Dan in pj's. Then they went with Pete to pick out a movie at Redbox. Despicable Me was the winner. Pete blew up the blow-up mattress, I popped some popcorn. Had a movie night. I of course fell asleep during the movie around 9:30. After the movie ended we all went into our own beds.

WEDNESDAY
5:00 am Daniel crawled into our bed.
5:45 am I got up and cleaned the house a bit.
6:00 am Daniel woke up. Had some breakfast: Mini Spooners. Built a train track.
6:30 am Joe and John woke up. Joe had muffins for breakfast, John Cheerios.
7:30 am Watched Beauty and the Beast while I got the house picked up.
9:15 am John's ride came and took him to preschool.
9:30 am Dan and Joe and I stopped by Papa John's house to drop off a painting from Daniel.
10:00 am Went to story time at the library
11:00 am Came home, Joe fell asleep in the car. Got Dan some lunch. Wanted Mac and Cheese again.
12:00 pm Daniel down for nap. I took a 10-minute power nap.
12:30 pm John got home from preschool. Had some lunch and played 2 rounds of Uno and 1 round of Old Maid.
1:30 pm Caught up on blogs and e-mails
3:00 pm Went for walk and played outside with kids
4:30 pm Got dinner ready and picked up house
5:00 pm Ate an early dinner: chicken nuggets, applesauce and rolls with honey
5:30-7 pm Worked on map for ward directory. Neglected kids and by the end the house was a total disaster!
6:15 pm Pete got home and played with kids. 7:00 pm Pete headed over for YM/YW and Bishopric meeting
7:15 pm Played Chutes and Ladders with John and Dan. Got them a snack. Cleaned up, pj's, scriptures, prayers, to bed.
8:00 pm Watched American Idol while I folded all the laundry.
9:30 pm Worked on sewing projects until Pete got home a little after 10. Talked in bed until sleep got the best of us.
Midnight: John came in bed with us. I meant to just have him fall asleep and then carry him back to his own bed, but I fell asleep too and didn't wake up until 5.

THURSDAY
5:15 am Was woken up by John next to me. Decided to get up and go running. 5 minutes after being up, Joe woke up, and he woke up Daniel. Fed Joe a bottle and put him back in his crib in hopes that he would get back to sleep, but my plan failed. 5:20! Are you serious?! How did my kids get on such an early schedule?! Apparently they have already adjusted to Daylight Savings, which is this coming Sunday. After the time change they'll be "sleeping in" until 6:30. Still not great, but at least it's not 5:30. Change of plans, didn't go running. Did Tae Bo instead while Daniel colored and Joe played with toys on the couch.
6:30 Made Malt-O-Meal for breakfast. Pete was able to eat with us before he left for school.
7 am Kids played with cars, blocks and slide (our old coffee table top leaned up against the bed... it's brought hours of entertainment!) while I showered. Built a train track with Daniel.
8:00 John finally woke up. Kids watched The Nightmare Before Christmas. I gave Joe a bath, finished getting myself ready, cleaned up breakfast and the house.
9:00 am Joe went down for a nap. Thank goodness! Gave John and Dan baths. Made lunches then headed out for the zoo.
10:30 am Met Liz, Tiffany and Amanda at the zoo. Absolutely gorgeous day! Probably the warmest and sunniest yet, I was in HEAVEN. Stayed at the zoo until 1:30 or so. Got a nice tan : )
2:00 pm Arrived home. Joe and Dan went down for naps. John helped me organize the garage. Our neighbor Jack came over for a chat. John got bored so we decided to go in, played a few rounds of Uno.
3:30 pm I had John play computer games while I took a 30-minute power nap. Around 4 Joe woke up crying. I was out of it and laid there for about 10 minutes while I came to. Joe kept crying (sorry Joe!) so I finally managed to get up off the couch and get him.
4:30 pm Played with kids in the family room. Set up ball pit, read books.
5:30 pm Started getting dinner ready so we could eat at 6. Pete was on call up at the hospital (no, that doesn't mean he comes home with a pager. That means he doesn't leave the hospital until 10 or so), so I made spaghetti and peas. Something I knew the kids would eat (well, not the peas). Cleaned up dinner while the kids played with Legos.
7:00 pm Watched American Idol while working on my crayon holders. Kids continued playing with legos and reading books.
8 pm Put Joe to bed. Finished up crayon holders
9 pm Put John and Dan to bed. Pj's, scriptures, prayers, brush teeth.
10 pm Fell asleep the second my head hit the pillow
10:15 pm Pete finally got home. I was out.

FRIDAY
5:40 am Joe woke up. Fed him oatmeal, picked up house a bit, played with toys.
6:45 am Pete left for school
7 am Dan woke up. We ate cereal together.
7:30 am John woke up. Played with legos with kids. Decided to stay in pj's all morning : )
8:30-10 am Made crayons with the kids: peeled off labels, cut in to small pieces, filled muffin tins and melted in oven. Joe took a morning nap from about 9-11 am.
10 am Grandpa's treasure box. Then played two rounds of Uno and Old Maid. Kids colored with new crayons while I cleaned up a bit.
11 am John and Dan played computer while I (finally) got ready for the day.
12:30 pm John's friend Jack came over and we all headed over to Sugarhouse Park. Another beautiful day! We stayed until a little after 3. We've all got rosy cheeks again. Came home and jumped on tramp. Neighbor Jack came over and we chatted inside while I did puzzles and played Memory with Dan.
5 pm Started getting dinner ready: Chili and cornbread. Ate at 6, Pete got home earlier than he thought, around 6:15, woohoo! Pete wrestled with John and Dan then took them outside to jump on the tramp while I gave Joe a bath (he insisted on feeding himself the chili and got it everywhere!), put him to bed then cleaned up dinner.
7:30 pm Dan went to bed, Pete played a few rounds of Uno with John, then scriptures and prayer with John before bed.
8 pm Pete made us chocolate banana shakes. Drank them while we listened to the end of the BYU game on the radio (we don't have that channel). Played speed scrabble. In bed around 11:00. After Pete was asleep I got up and cleaned the house. Sometimes I'd rather wake up to a clean house than get my sleep. For the past month or two I'll stay up until 1 or 2 (or 3 or 4 depending on how much I want to do) one night a week so I can get caught up and feel like I have my feet under me. I sacrifice my sleep, but to me it's worth being a little more tired for the next day or two. I actually quite like those few hours alone. I feel like I'm never alone anymore. I can actually think.
1:30 Finally fell asleep

SATURDAY
4:50 am Joe woke up. I gave him a bottle and thankfully he fell back asleep. His crying woke up Dan though, so Dan came in bed with us.
6:00 am Pete's alarm woke up me and Dan. Pete left around 6:45. Dan and I made banana muffins for breakfast
7 am Joe woke up and John shortly after that. Had breakfast. Played Old Maid and Uno with John and Dan while Joe finished up his breakfast. Built a train track, set up slide, cleaned up breakfast. Kids watched the first part of Dumbo while I got ready to run.
9 am Went running with kids... Dan and Joe inside Chariot, John on top. Not the ideal way to go running, but when I'm desperate to get outside and exercise and Pete's not around then I make work. It's actually kind of fun, John sits up at my level and we get to talk the whole time (well, for me it's more like say a few words in between my panting breaths), while Dan and Joe play. John and I counted 38 fire hydrants on the run. After the run we stopped at Jack's house to say hi. I helped him turn his mattress over and put on new sheets. The kids got their usual dose of smarties and water and danced to the rhythm on his organ. Joe walked clear across Jack's family room to me, probably the farthest he's walked yet! That kid is so silly, he's stable enough to walk on his own now, but won't do it unless he's bribed. He'll walk holding my finger everywhere we go, but the second I let go he freaks out.
11 am Came home and put Joe down for a nap. John and Dan jumped on the tramp for a little bit, then came in and played Uno together while I started making some bread. When the dough was ready I gave them each a little handful to roll out and they made "cinnamon twists"... which I totally burnt when I cooked them. Luckily they didn't seem to mind too much. At least my bread didn't burn.
Noon: Boys finished watching Dumbo while I cleaned up the bread (flour was everywhere) and swept and mopped the house. Got kids some lunch: cheese, crackers and applesauce, then read them a couple books in my bed. John fell asleep, but Dan never did. I guess it's early bedtime for him.
1:30 Pete got home from the hospital, Joe woke up. We ran over to a house down the street that was having an Open House. A total fixer upper. We decided when the time finally comes to buy our own home, we do NOT want a home like that. Came back and had sandwiches for lunch, finally showered.
3:30 pm Pete's sister Sarah came over to watch the kids while Pete and I went to the temple. Our ward's conference is tomorrow, so they met for the 4:00 session today. We actually got there, inside the temple, 15 minutes early! We're usually there more like 3 minutes before the session is starting and running and stressed. So it was quite nice. Had a hard time staying awake, even with my endless breath mints I snuck in my pocket.
7:00 pm Made it home. Chatted with Sarah for a while. Put Joe and Dan to sleep. Had leftovers for dinner. Played Sorry with John (if you can't tell, John LOVES games).
9:00 pm Practiced "Behold the Wounds on Jesus' Hands" on my violin... will be playing that at church tomorrow with 4 people who are singing. Pete and John played with the Legos. I caught up on my blog.
9:45 pm John to bed. Pete and I were asleep around 11.

SUNDAY—Daylight Savings! Time went ahead 1 hour, which I LOVE. The kids will now sleep in a little later.
6:15 am Joe woke up. I let him cry a half hour in hopes that he would fall back asleep on his own, but he never did, so I fed him a bottle and put him back in bed. And get this, he slept until 9:00!!! A record for sure. Dan woke up at 6:45, John around 7:30. Had crepes for breakfast. Pete had to go to a meeting at 7:30 but was back around 9. John helped me set up their "Art Space," their own little table and art supplies next to our desk where they can create whatever and whenever they want. I'm quite excited about it. Crayons, markers, pencils, paint, paper, all that sort of stuff.
10:15 am Went over to church to practice the song we would be performing. Pete brought the kids over around 10:45.
11-2 Church. Shannon took Joe during Sacrament Meeting again. Sweetest lady, she'll almost always come steal Joe away so that I don't go crazy with all 3 kids with Pete sitting in the stand. Musical number went well. John came up with me and sat with Pete while I played. John went to Primary and Dan to nursery. Pete takes Joe for the rest of the meetings so I can play the piano in Primary. After church Joe went right down for a nap. John and Dan had a little quiet time while I cleaned up the house. Got John and Dan a snack while they watched part of Cars.
3:30 pm Pete got home from his meetings. I went over to the church for a visiting teaching interview. Got back and Jack was over talking to Pete on the front porch while the kids played in the yard. John and Dan wore shorts today for the first time this year. Lovin' this weather!!!
5 pm Steve and Jess drove up from Provo to have dinner with us. Had a turkey roast, potatoes and broccoli, Jess brought cupcakes for dessert. Parents are in Seattle, Justin and Brittney in Texas... Steve and Jess and us are the last Utah survivors. Hung out with them until 8 or so. Kids to bed, some alone time with Pete, yay!

And that concludes the week! I kind of hope no one was crazy enough to read this whole thing : ) Life is busy but good. I love my life and feel so blessed to have my amazing husband and 3 sweet boys. Couldn't ask for anything more!

3 comments:

Kevin Marcum said...

I'm exhausted...not sure how busy moms do it, but am grateful you do.

Barb said...

You are amazing!

Allison Tiek said...

This is awesome, Jess! And I seriously can't believe how early you are up every day! I won't even admit what time I got up this morning... (ok, it was 9:00! - kids slept in because of day light saving, therefore, I slept in.)