Different reactions to discipline
John and Dan are alike in a lot of ways and different in a lot of ways. We give timeouts to the kids when they're being mean, doing something naughty, not obeying us, etc., and make them sit in a different room by themselves for a few minutes. A lot of times when John gets a timeout he'll start crying (fake crying, that is) and tell us he's sorry over and over to try to get out of it, but finally go into the room, still crying. Well, Daniel is a different story. He was sticking out his tongue and spitting at John during lunch (a frequent occurrence unfortunately) so I told Dan he needed a timeout and to go into my room. Then he looked at me and smiled then started laughing. I told him more firmly to go to timeout and reached to grab his arm, but he started running from me and laughed harder! I had to chase him down then carry him to the room with him laughing the whole time. It kind of made it hard to be overly upset with him, but he served his time in the room, then happily came out. I don't know which reaction I prefer. I feel like discipline for Daniel sometimes goes in one ear and out the other. And I'm not sure I want to find out how these different reactions will transfer over to the teenage years!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That is so funny I have to spelling it out: Laughing Out Loud (LOL)!
I love reading your blog because I think I could say "Ditto" to nearly every post. Our kids are at the exact same stages! Love that Kirra and Tavin do the make believe thing for hours too now. The funniest was when they were throwing their make believe baby to one another in the van. But I am with you on discipline...it's tough. My mom said she used to punish us all differently. I got sent to my room, Rach got assigned a chore, and Jeff, well Jeff just had to rake the rock driveway. HA!
Post a Comment