Camping at Blind Lake

I guess it's about time I documented what our family is up to.  A new chapter in our lives is about to begin as summer comes to an end and school starts.  Dan will be starting Kindergarten and John 2nd grade.  Both are full day.  It will be quite the change for me "just" having the two at home.  Joe is excited to start "school at home" with me, and I am really looking forward to having some one on one time with him while the older kids are at school and Will is napping.  Hopefully I can make up for some of the unintentional and unavoidable neglect of the middle/3rd child.

It has been a busy, fun and happening summer.  I'm looking back at all the pictures from summer and am wondering where in the world to start.  Instead of starting from the beginning and trying to tackle it all, I'm going to write about what's going on now and work my way back when I get around to it.  If I start from the beginning I'm afraid I'll never catch up!

Last weekend we went to one of our all time favorite camping spots, Blind Lake.  Technically it's a "hike in only" campsite, which makes it a bit tricky and a ton a work, but it is so worth the effort.  It's heaven to wake up to the sun rising over the glassy lake with nobody around.  And no computer, piles of laundry, dirty dishes or toys scattered all over the floor to distract you from what's most important.

We ended up hiking in some of our stuff in the morning so we could get the spot we wanted.  Then we came back later when Pete was off work and had him and the 3 older ones kayak with the rest of our stuff and me and Will hike.  It was only 3 miles or so for me, but boy, I guess I haven't hiked that far with an extra 30 pounds on my back for quite some time!  I was beat.  I opted to squeeze into the kayak with everyone else on the way back.





Even though the kids didn't get to bed until after 10, Will was still up around 6.  Of course.  Nothing stops him from being my early morning buddy.  I took advantage of being alone with him and snuck out in the kayak to watch the sunrise.  The water was like glass, the sky bright with color, and not a sound except for the birds. 




John and Pete took a turn next.



After we all filled up on oatmeal and went for a morning hike, we packed into the kayak and paddled across the lake to some rope swings that we discovered a couple years ago.  They're located on a sort of island, there aren't any roads that will get you there.  Only accessible by boat.  We were the first ones there and had them all to ourselves for about an hour.  Rope swings make me feel like a little kid again.  I think I could play on them for hours if my abs and arms could handle it.







Will finally passed out in the kayak.  If only we could all fall asleep whenever and wherever we wanted.

We spent about a month in Utah this summer, then came back to Michigan for the last few weeks before school starting.  As much as I'm going to miss summer and lakes and swimming, kayaking, hiking and exploring, I'm so looking forward to fall.  The changing leaves, cider mills, doughnuts, apple picking, pumpkin carving, soups and sweaters are right around the corner.

1 comment:

Eliza said...

you're the coolest mom, I love that shot of you on the rope swing... I'm so glad I have friends like you who like to stay young :).