Much to be thankful for

We had our first Thanksgiving at our own home this year.  Even though it was just our little family and my sister McKenzie, we still had a lot of fun and made a ton of food.  We started cooking a few things the night before, continued in the morning, then took a break to go to the park.  It was a beautiful day, in the 60's, so we rollerbladed/biked/ran and let the kids play at the playground.  

McKenzie helped the boys make these cornucopia's with waffle cones, recess pieces, raisins, dried fruit and nuts.  This was something Pete remembered his aunt doing when he was little.

McKenzie helped keep the boys entertained while we did some of the cooking.

Pete nailed the turkey this year.  Soaked it in a brine overnight, injected it with lots of yummy things, stuffed it, rubbed butter and herbs under the skin, then threw it in the oven.  Yum.

In two days the weather dropped 30 degrees, and of course that's when we went and got our tree.  It really was freezing.  The second we stepped out of the car (or maybe even when we opened the car door), Dan started saying, "I'm cold... I want to go home... I'm cold... I want to go home..." and pretty much continued that the entire time.  After about 10 minutes of searching for the perfect tree, Joe, who hadn't said anything the entire time, pointed to a very small tree about his size, and mumbled through frozen lips, "let's get this tree."  So I finally took the younger ones back to the car to get warm, and we drove over to watch Pete saw the tree down from a distance.  Not the magical Christmas tree experience that I was hoping for, but that's alright.  Pete found a great tree that fills up about half of our family room.  Ha!  (Not really half, but it's definitely the biggest tree we've ever had... it didn't look that big out in nature, but in our family room it's a giant).

That night we all cuddled up with some blankets, watched Polar Express and enjoyed the tree.


I always love this time of year.  Much to be thankful for and much to look forward to.

1 comment:

Eliza said...

What a nice thanksgiving weekend, I've got to try that cutting down a tree thing, but I'm afraid that if we did it we'd bring it back and not be able to get in the door much less have anywhere to put it, maybe in our house phase of life. I'm impressed you did the Thanksgiving feast all on your own! Thats a ton of work, it looks incredible!