Experiencing the bad to know the good

You would think that taking your kids bowling would only result in a good experience, right? That's what I thought before I went to this activity for medical students and their families, WITHOUT Pete. John has been wanting to go bowling for a long time, so when a free opportunity came I jumped on it, even though Pete was out of town. Here's a little recap of all the best moments: Joe screaming multiple times when I wouldn't let him walk/crawl down the runway, having to bowl and help the kids bowl while holding Joe, who was crying half the time (not a good day for Joe), getting a strike and turning around excitedly to find that none of the kids were even watching (who can blame them?), taking John to the bathroom and coming back to spilled Rootbeer all over the floor, talking to another wife and looking up to see John hitting some kid on the other side of the room over and over, being the only one there without my husband, getting home to a messy house COMPLETELY exhausted. I guess that's a list of only the bad things... John did have a ton of fun... And there was free pizza... Yep, that was about it...



And now onto the GOOD! Don't want to dwell on the bad. I only write it because it made me appreciate Sunday night SO much. It was an average Sunday morning/afternoon. I came home around 2:30, all the kids were napping by 3 and didn't wake up until 6! And no, it was not the fact that they were sleeping half the day that made it a good one. We decided to have a movie night (since we knew it was going to be a late one), set up the blow-up mattress, made smoothies, popped popcorn, put on PJ's, and snuggled up for The Prince of Egypt. Pete got home from visits a little bit into the movie, and soon after he sat down with us Joe came over and laid on him for a good 5 or 10 minutes. That kid sure missed his daddy this weekend! He kept taking turns snuggling with me and Pete, while Dan cuddled up to me and John laid in between me and Pete. Pete and I kept looking at each other and I could tell we were thinking the same thing... we've got it good. These 3 little boys do test my patience and cause some serious exhaustion, BUT in the end, they bring me more joy than I could ever know otherwise. I love my boys! All 4 of them!

1 comment:

Barb said...

I'm amazed and impressed that you even attempted the bowling solo. Way to go! You sure do have a cute family, I'm glad you got a good day after the hard one!