Potty training... round 2
Not round 2 as in John was 1st and Dan was 2nd... round 2 as in our 2nd attempt with Daniel. We tried to potty train Daniel over the summer, about 3 months ago, and failed. Maybe he wasn't ready yet, maybe I was lazy, maybe we didn't do it right... who knows. When we tried the first time, Daniel was screaming and crying by the third day that he DID NOT WANT TO SIT ON THE POTTY!!! Pete learned in some of his pediatrics training that if a child does this you wait 3 months and try it again. So the time came when we were running low on diapers and I really didn't feel like paying 20 bucks for another package, so I woke up one morning and decided we were done with diapers. Whether Dan liked it or not, he was going to be in big boy underwear. I'm pretty sure if you read a book about how to potty train your child, a lot of things we did would be under the chapter, "What Not To Do." Forcing him to sit on the potty kicking and screaming, not letting him off until he had gone, bribing him with candy to sit and try, getting very upset several times after he had gone "#2" in his underwear (that is the absolute worst to clean up!), threatening he wouldn't be able to wear any underwear or pants if he had another accident... this was a whole new ball game with Daniel! John picked it up in 2 or 3 days and didn't look back. With Dan I felt like we had simply switched over to cloth diapers for a week. BUT... apparently we did do something right. After 7 long days we have finally had success! On day #8, Dan told me for the first time that he had to go pee pee. And ever since then he has told me every time! What a wonderful thing to have behind me. Now only one little boy in diapers : )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm so jealous you're through that stage already ... I'm dreading potty training Kate even though I know I need to. She just isn't very excited about it anymore, so I need to figure out how to get her into it again ... no fun, but I'm sure it's nice when it's over.
Post a Comment