Attempt at a nap

I woke up at 5 this morning to go for a run before the kids woke up and before Pete left thinking I would make up for lost sleep with a nap. I went about my morning planning things accordingly, making sure Joseph took a good morning nap so he'd be ready to nap with the rest of us in the afternoon. He had a doctor appointment after his nap, got a few shots... perfect, that'll make him extra tired for his afternoon nap... went to the library to check out some books and for storytime. Around noon headed home and Dan fell asleep in the car... that's alright, Joe's looking tired too, I'll just have to convince John it's time for his nap as well. Dan was transferred to his bed successfully. Joe yawned and I quickly put him in the port-a-crib. He's out. 2 down, 1 to go. I realized I hadn't fed the kids anything since breakfast... better make a quick bagel for John... and for me, I realized I was starving. Hold that thought, the laundry is downstairs and needs to be changed. Quickly. Ok, John, hurry and eat your bagel... you can sleep next to me in my bed. Can we read books? Um... ok. 2? No just 1. I start to walk through the kitchen and glance over at the sink... full of dishes from breakfast. I better do those real fast, who likes to wake up with a sink full of dishes? Ok John, let's go. We start walking down the hallway and I hear a tap tap at the side door. It's Jack, our 91 year-old neighbor. I whisper to John to quickly come in the bedroom as I shut the door. Did he see us? Shoot, I think he did. Fine, I'll answer. He just came back from the store and bought us a watermelon to share. Sweet old man. I tell him I was just getting ready to take a nap with John. He understands. I cut the watermelon in half and send him on his way. Ok, let's go. We hop in bed and I read the short book to John in a whisper... Joe is sleeping in the same room. Yay, we're done, let's lay down and doze away into peaceful bliss. I glance at my watch... hmmm, I think the laundry is ready to be changed again. I'll just go change it quickly and be right back up in 3 minutes. It'll only cut off 3 minutes of my nap. I put in a new batch, run back upstairs, lay down, close my eyes, and before I know it I'm dreaming sweet nothings... 10 minutes pass... wait, what's that. I turn over. It's Pete home early from school. Dang, why do I have to be such a light sleeper? He probably tip-toed in, I told him I was going to try to nap. He's just going to be outside working in the yard. I turn back over and close my eyes again... 5 minutes pass... I hear the other bedroom door open. Daniel? Up already!? Apparently he didn't need a long nap after his 4 hour nap yesterday. He's happy, good. I send him out to work in the yard with dad. Wait... where did Pete go? We look in the yard, he's no where to be found. We go back inside. Dan starts eating John's leftover crackers. Oh, he hasn't eaten since breakfast, he's probably starving, too. I cut him up a pear. Hmmm... I'm not feeling very tired anymore. I guess I'll just stay up. I can get a lot of laundry folded. I'll just go to bed early tonight...

8 comments:

Julie said...

Wow I can so relate! And when I do want to take a nap, I have to have at least 30 minutes or more, otherwise I wake up grumpier! Maybe next time....right?

Ash and Joe said...

wow. now that is living!

Courtney said...

Wow....I don't know how you do it! I was tired just reading about your day!

Eliza said...

awww... poor jess... I wanted you to have that nap so bad... I was hoping by the end it would come. you are super mom by the way.

Unknown said...

THIS IS HILARIOUS! And painfully true. I guess now I have a glimpse of what having three is like...

And you probably didn't even get to bed early.

Beth Clayton said...

oh jess! I think naps are such treat because we hardly ever get them!

Barb said...

I hope you really did get to bed early!! You definitely earned some rest!

Melissa + Brett said...

AMEN! Why is it my kids nap the LONGEST on days I decide I'm not even going to attempt a nap because of past frustrations. However on the rare day I do decide to lay down, my day sounds like yours! I was just thinking today...I think all I want for Christmas (yes, I'm looking to Christmas already because my bday is over, Mother's day is over, etc.) is to go sleep somewhere, maybe a motel, so I can sleep all through the night and wake up when I want. :) Sounds heavenly.